The Use of Various Milling Cutters
Now the technology of CNC milling machines is constantly developing and the functions are more perfect. Therefore, everyone has higher requirements for milling cutters on milling machines. There are many commonly used types of milling cutters according to their uses.
The use of various milling cutters
- Cylindrical milling cutter: used for machining planes on horizontal milling machines. The cutter teeth are distributed on the circumference of the milling cutter and are divided into straight teeth and helical teeth according to the tooth shape. According to the number of teeth, there are two kinds of coarse teeth and fine teeth. The helical-tooth coarse-tooth milling cutter has few teeth, high tooth strength, and large chip space, which is suitable for rough machining; the fine-toothed milling cutter is suitable for finishing.
- Face milling cutter: used for vertical milling machine, face milling machine or gantry milling machine, upper processing plane, there are cutter teeth on the end face and circumference, and there are coarse teeth and fine teeth. Its structure has three types: integral type, insert type, and indexable type.
- End mill: used for machining grooves and stepped surfaces, etc. The cutter teeth are on the circumference and end face, and cannot be fed in the axial direction during operation. Axial feed is possible when the end mill has end teeth that pass through the center.
- Three-side edge milling cutter: It is used to process various grooves and stepped surfaces, and there are cutter teeth on both sides and the circumference.
- Angle milling cutter: used for milling grooves at a certain angle, there are two types of single-angle and double-angle milling cutters.
- Saw blade milling cutter: It is used for machining deep grooves and cutting workpieces, and there are more teeth on its circumference. To reduce friction during milling, there are 15' to 1° secondary declinations on both sides of the cutter teeth. In addition, there are keyway milling cutters, dovetail milling cutters, T-shaped slot milling cutters, and various forming milling cutters.
We should choose the milling cutter on the CNC milling machine according to the purpose of the milling cutter, so as to be more targeted. I hope the above content can provide a reference for you to choose the milling cutter.